Tuesday, February 25, 2014

My Contributions to Group Think Tank 5's First Paper


Jamal Gatling
Professor Barr
Critical Thinking Section 07
February 25, 2014

Blog Entry #3
Hello my name is Jamal Gatling in this blog post I will be give a brief summary of what I contributed to my Group Think Tank 5 paper. As a group we choose to base our paper off of Discussion Question 5: “Are there any issues discussed by radio and television talk shows that you consider inappropriate? Are certain groups targeted for criticism and others left alone, or is ever topic fair game? Give examples to support your answer.” (Diestler 31-32)
To start of this paper we came up with many different topics that would offend us if it were spoken about in public. The topic that I choose was racial slurs and stereotypes. In the paper I talked about how any form of racial slur or stereotype toward any race is offensive. I also touched bases about how some people may not want to raise there families in am environment were racism occurs, but it is difficult for these families because it doesn’t matter where you are racial slurs are said regardless of whom is around. I take offense to racism because it is the ignorance or hate of another person’s culture or ethnic group, others should not have to be publicly humiliated or exiled for being who they are. In the paper I also talked about how I am African American and I am in a relationship with a Caucasian American female. I recalled many accounts of how many strange looks and racist statements that we receive when we were in public.
Everyone is entitled to his or her own views and beliefs, which is one of the rights of being human. But when your opinions offend others one should not go as far as sharing them publicly. If a person hates another race they should only speak of it behind closed doors, there would be less conflict in the world today.
References
Diestler, Sherry. "Becoming a Critical Thinker." Trans. Array Questions for Discussion. . 6. Upper Saddle River: Pearson, 2012. 31-32. Print.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/basis

http://strim.org.pl/2012/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Arts_stereotypes2_tapuz.co_.il_.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment